2.08.2010

{it's a test!} | kalispell child photographer

all this week i am test driving a couple lenses. i'm trying to figure out which one i like the best...and am having a hard time! so, i'm going to put a couple "tests" up this week.
i will have set one, all taken with one lens and i will have set two, all taken with the other lens.
i would LOVE any feedback, comments, opinions...anything you got!
(i'm still learning these lenses...so cut me a little slack. haha)
thanks!!

today i took my my little man!
it's amazing how well he behaves when bribed with a bubble bath :)

set one:







and set two:






28 blog love notes:

Jen said...

fabulous! can't wait to see the other ones!

JAR Photography & Design said...

Awesome Shannon... loved set 2. :)

Kristin said...

I too liked set 2. Are you going to tell us which lenses they are or keep us in suspense??? Hint hint!

thousand words photography said...

i think i'll post a few more sets.
i let you know at the end of the week what was what :)

thanks!!

The {G} Family said...

I vote for 2. The close ups are gorgeous on both, but the others look clearer to me in the 2nd set. He is getting so big!

Michelle Kane said...

Totally want to know what lenses you are testing. These sets are a toss up for me. Can't really tell a remarkable difference. Your photography and your little guy are fabulous!

Sheryl Salisbury said...

I think set 2 has more clarity. Now you have to tell us which lens you were using. lol Good luck.

Snapshotsofhappiness said...

In my super duper humble opinion, I like set 2, but are great but there is something special about set 2. My son has the same boots! :-)

Beth Benoit said...

They are all GORGEOUS but I prefer set one. The bokeh is fabulous!!! I am guessing you shot most of set one at 1.2 or so. Oh and please do share to let us know which lenses you are testing and which you decide on. Thx!

Valerie said...

I prefer set 1 actually...which ones are these do TELL!

Kathy Campbell said...

LOVE set 2!

And his hair. TOO CUTE!

Jessica F said...

Beautiful!! I love how real these pictures feel, you really captured his personality I think.

Zoe Berkovic said...

Woah! I don't know what lens this is but you rocked it! Love the close-ups with it especially! Great set of images!

crave photography said...

They are ALL fantastic.....but that bokeh in set one is killing me. You are talking creamy blur baby and it's amazing!!! I will be watching to find out which lenses you are test driving. I have been trying to find the right lens that will really give that creative bokeh. My question would be how opened up were you on the lens to get that superior bokeh? It seems your subject wasn't even that far removed from the background to get that bokeh, which is/would be fantastic! I am in suspense!!!

Sean said...

Wow, I'm totally going against the grain here in feeling set 1. A lot more I think.

Interesting! I'm really curious now!

Christine Pobke said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! :) your work is LOVELY!!! :) and if i had to venture a guess, i'd say the 35L and the 50L. :) awesome sets though!

Lesley Barr Photography said...

I also love the bokeh in set 1! Can't wait to hear what lenses!!

crave photography said...

I just have to comment again on these! I keep coming back and looking at them! For one because the pictures are just so darn adorable, but also I am really personally noticing a big difference between the bokeh (blurred background) you are able to achieve with set one over set 2. It seems like with set 1 only your subject is in focus and starting just behind their shirt everything falls WAY out of focus. I personally LOVE this effect and have been trying my darndest to figure out how to get this look. Even when I shoot my fixed 50mm opened way up to like a 2.2, I'm just not achieving the killer bokeh like this.

Unknown said...

What a handsome young man- love all the expressions!
-Shellie

thousand words photography said...

thank you all for your comments and input!! tomorrow i will have another test post :)

crave--thank you...and email me at thousandwords@bresnan.net--we'll chat!

Elizabeth Crocker said...

Brilliant shots! Looking forward to learning what lenses you used!

Elizabeth Crocker said...

I'm guessing you used some lens babies? There are a couple in the first set that seem to have a more artisitc effect in the background bokeh. Also, am I missing set 2 or are the other references to it confused?

thousand words photography said...

hmmm...beth-set 2 is there for me?
and, nope, no lensbaby.

Michelle Kane said...

I think in one of them you are using either a 70-200 or a fixed 135. In another, I think you are using a shorter lens like the 85. Anxious to know!

Anonymous said...

I love set 2 as well. The images just seemed so much more vibrant and alive

Audrey said...

Awesome captures!! What a cutie!

Dezarae said...

Im thinking a longer focal length for the top set, 85mm (which are my favorite) and a shorter focal length for the bottom. I like the bottom set more, because they are more fun, but I LOVE the creamy bokeh and clarity in the first set.

He is too sweet!

Dani Burtsfield said...

Girl, I know *nothing* about camera lenses, but these pictures are simply amazing. That first shot melted my heart!! I had better have that little man in my class someday!